Floral trousers and jeans are a massive style trend this summer, picking up on last summer’s lean towards florals and simply running like crazy with it.
Some of you might remember the 80’s trend for florals too – and we’re not talking just aura Ashley here, florals were a big deal! Who could forget those fabulous pedal pushers in glorious technicolour flower pattern, or high-waisted peg-front trousers, worn with a cut-off tee and a slash of bright lipstick?
Well, it seems florals in fashion are back, and floral pattern trousers are in all the shops, including 205 On Ashley!
They may be pretty and they may be terribly on trend, but there’s one question we get asked a lot – how do you style floral trousers with the rest of your wardrobe?
Here are our top 10 tips on how to wear floral trousers to make sure you rock that trend:
- Avoid all over florals. Unless it’s a carefully tailored outfit designed to work as a two-piece, it’s best to think of your trousers as the hero piece and choose a top that picks out a single colour from the riot below.
- Toughen up the floral print with a black top and black leather jacket. Add a pair of huge sunglasses and a fabulous tote, and you’re ready to rock.
- Don’t be afraid to stand out. Adding a vibrant jacket in a block colour, over a top that pulls out a neutral colour from your trousers, can look fabulously glamorous.
- Go neutral on the shoes. We love a nude shoe, they lengthen the leg like an optical illusion, and won’t clash with your pants. The heady days of 80’s neon winkle pickers haven’t yet returned.
- Floral palazzo pants look fabulous with a tailored top. If you go big down below, keep control of your silhouette up top!
- Long line cardigans look fabulous over skinny florals. A fitted pair of floral pants look great with a long line floaty top.
- Florals and lace are a dream team. Super feminine, but not overpowering. We have the most gorgeous lace jacket in store by Joseph Ribkoff and it looks incredible with their floral fitted pants and palazzo pants.
- Monochrome works. For those of us who rarely step away from our monochrome palette, don’t worry, there are some fabulous floral trousers in our ‘safety’ colours, or if you can bear it – marvellous navy!
- Ice white baby! We can’t avoid this one – but let’s be honest, a bright snowy white goes with anything. Choose a tailored shirt and tuck it in, or a smart and high quality white tee-short (seriously, you never regret investing in a well-made tee!) and stick with nude accessories for a classic, simple look.
- Mix it up. Get the most from your purchase by dressing your pants differently every time. Pick and choose from any of the above and ring the changes every time you leave the house.
I hope there’s some easy inspiration here on how to wear your floral trousers this summer, through autumn and beyond. If you want to play around with your look, pop into the store any time you’re passing and just see what we have that you will love.